Thursday, May 03, 2012
Dublin Marathon loses sponsor for 2012...
Race director Jim Aughney said..."We had a great partnership with the National Lottery last year, and they did a huge amount to help us raise the bar yet again in terms of the professionalism of Dublin, and having live TV for the first time in over twenty years was a real boost as well. As organisers, our task now is to deliver the best possible Dublin Marathon for the runners, joggers and walkers and to continue to grow the event, as we have done for the past 32 years”
(Pictured above...Irish Marathon hopefuls Linda Byne, Maria McCambridge and Caitriona Jennings with race director Jim Aughney)
Aughney admitted that the lack of a title sponsor will mean they will have to cut back on certain elements this year, so for starters there will be no live television or highlights package this year, but he is adamant that he and his fellow volunteer organisers will ensure that the core elements that make Dublin such a popular marathon will remain in place.
Aughney expects there will be some changes to the route for the 2012 Marathon. “We are still finalizing the 2012 route with the relevant local authorities and the Gardaí, but there will be some changes to the current route”...he said.
Expected to change is the existing route in the Phoenix Park with runners this year only using only the Back Road, Chesterfield Avenue and Wellington Road. The second change if implemented will see the runners cutting out Roebuck Road and Fosters Avenue just after the 20 miles mark.
The 2011 Dublin City Marathon attracted a record crowd of some 14,000 runners and was worth over €10 million in terms of economic benefit to the city.